Monday, August 28, 2006

Contentment and the Thorn in the Flesh

I learned something new! While I hope I am always learning, this is different. This is one of those times when you learn something so simple, you wonder why you never knew it. And, it concerns the thorn in the flesh.

Contentment, means being willing to not only accept what God has given you for a situation, it means being at peace with it. I usually think of things like calling, gifting, equipping when I discuss contentment. I forgot the thorn in the flesh which Paul discusses at 2 Cor. 12:7.

I have had a muscular-skeletal thing in my chest off and on for years. (Distance runners who stop are great candidates for this, I found.) Anyway, it has flared up more on than off in the past two months. I went to the Dr., got some meds, and I find that I am so much more contented now. I am at peace.

But, what if the condition hadn't gone away? That's where Paul's discussion hits home. I need to add to my contentment bag of tools a tool that reminds me to deal with thorns in the flesh. The next one might not go away, and I want to ensure that I don't lose the peace. That shouldn't be hard, now that I have learned something new!

p.s. You young guys will discover that the "thorn" thing is more relevant as you pass the 40 mark!

No comments: