Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Can't Believe I Didn't Notice Earlier

I know, I know, I make a big deal of post-modernity. That seems fair to me, since it is the worldview most prevalent around me every day. So, as one who is "aware," I am surprised when a sign of the times becomes obvious that I should have seen earlier.

One of my laments is that today everyone is treated the same. All kids who participate get a trophy. Everyone is a winner. Teachers feel that pressure in school. Every parent expects his or her child to get an A.


I always preached to parents to give it up. "When your child becomes an adult," I always said, "they won't get that kind of treatment. Let them learn reality now!" How many times have I told parents and kids that? Well, yesterday, at about 5:47 PM, I found out that I was wrong. Yep, there in the Publix parking lot was the proof that even adults are now getting trophys.

I saw a young soldier driving his car. He had a black beret pulled down in a way that said, "I have a beret and I am cool." Then it hit me. ALL soldiers get berets. No more do only green berets, Rangers and other elite groups wear berets. Now EVERYONE in the Army can cruise the Publix lot with the "cool" beret.

I can't believe I didn't notice earlier. I guess the good news is that even though I didn't catch on right away, I'll still get my trophy.

No comments: